Can We Help? Community Finder
 
Page Header Image: Falcon

Falcon

What's in a Name?

This suburb was named after Falcon Bay. Falcon (pronounced "Fawlkn") and was approved as a suburb name on 13th November 1967 and gazetted on 8th March 1968. Many of the streets in the adjoining estate were named after yachts and "Falcon" was the name of a yacht, the crew of which won a silver medal by coming second in the Olympic yacht races in Melbourne in 1956.

 



 

Character and Community Spirit

 
The people of Falcon feel a real affinity to the natural environment, particularly to water. The character of the area is influenced by the ocean, beaches and dunes to the west and the lush woodlands and foreshore reserves adjoining the Peel Harvey Estuary to the west.

Pleasant Grove has a distinct rural character with large blocks and magnificent Tuart and Jarrah trees. The area still retains a rich diversity of flora and fauna, including kangaroos.

To the west of Old Coast Road the topography undulates and the wide grid pattern roads give a sense of space, and allow remnant trees and bush to add character to the streetscape.

There is a very strong family friendly and informal aspect to the community. A holiday atmosphere is still tangible with many beach shacks and weekenders dotted among the more modern substantial mansions and apartments.

 

Top of page

 

Community Facilities and Groups

A community hub on both sides of Old Coast Road forms a district centre consisting of shopping centres, medical facilities and support services, cafes restaurants, sports oval and pavilion and Falcon eLibrary and Community Centre. Falcon Family Centre provides a range of services, programs and activities for parents and early years children and is located on Linville Street.


Community Centres

• Falcon Community Centre & eLibrary
• Falcon Pavilion
• Falcon Family Centre
• Falcon Oval Club Rooms
• Merlin Street Oval Pavilion


Childcare
• Child Health Nurse at Falcon Family Centre
• Falcon Playgroup
• YMCA Day Care
• Early Bird Childcare


Community Groups

• South Mandurah Football Club
• South Mandurah Cricket Club
• Halls Head Lightning Junior Football Club
• Falcon Seniors Recreation Club
• Falcon Spinners Inc.
• Falcon Pottery Club
• South Mandurah Tennis Club
• Mandurah Senior & Junior Baseball & Softball Clubs


Shops and Restaurants
• Falcon Bay Deli
• Miami Plaza
• Miami Shopping Centre
• Falcon Grove Shopping Centre
• Cobbler’s Tavern
• Novara Store
• Miami Caravan Park

Top of page

 

Natural Landscape and Open Spaces

Local people value the diverse natural assets of Falcon including the ocean, beaches, estuary, and bush-land reserves.

Beaches
Local beaches include:
• Avalon
• Geary’s
• Falcon Bay - residents appreciate Falcon Bay beach and reserve as family friendly and not over-commercialised.

Estuary Foreshore Reserves
There are several access points for boating, fishing and crabbing along the estuary foreshore including:
• Dampier Reserve
• Pleasant Grove Foreshore Reserve
• Ward Point

Local beaches include: • Avalon • Geary’s • Falcon Bay - residents appreciate Falcon Bay beach and reserve as family friendly and not over-commercialised. There are several access points for boating, fishing and crabbing along the estuary foreshore including: • Dampier Reserve • Pleasant Grove Foreshore Reserve • Ward Point  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bushland

• Josephine Te-Puni Reserve situated in Eldora Crescent, Falcon, conserves an area of remnant dune vegetation habitat. This name was proposed by the City of Mandurah in honour of the late Josephine Te-Puni for her contribution to the protection of the natural environment. A resident of Mandurah for 18 years, she lived close to this reserve and was actively involved in the preparation / implementation of the Management Plan adopted by Council in 2000.
• Flavia Reserve adjacent to Falcon eLibrary
• Avalon Parade Foreshoure Resrve
• Falcon Primary School Bushland
• Linville Street Reserve

Parks, Ovals & Recreation Reserves

• Rakoa Reserve
• Harold Bassett-Scarfe Park: Situated between Honeytree Place and Nutbush Avenue, Falcon is named after the late Harold Bassett-Scarfe who was a major land developer in the Falcon area in the 1950s.
• Louis Dawe Park: Situated between Honeytree Place and Nutbush Avenue, Falcon was named after Louis Dawe, after whose family Dawesville is named. Louis Dawe became involved in the fish canning industry in Mandurah in the mid 1890s and built Allandale cottage in 1913.
• Falcon Reserve Oval home of South Mandurah Football and Cricket Clubs
• Merlin Street Reserve Oval is used for Australian Rules Football and Baseball
• Recreation takes place indoors in the Falcon Pavilion at the Falcon eLibrary & Community Centre.

 

Top of page

 

Events 

In March 2007 the City of Mandurah staged the Celebrate Falcon event. Local school students produced more than 1000 postcards describing Falcon and the community were given an opportunity to talk about where they lived, what aspects of Falcon they valued, and relate stories about their connection to the area. A giant aerial photograph of Falcon and district was used to capture people’s thoughts.

People were also asked specific questions about how they would improve Falcon Bay Reserve and their vision for its future.

The diverse views of more than 500 participants were captured and are documented in the report. To view report click here (link)

Top of page

History & Heritage

 

Stories of Local People & Places
• In 1950-53 Fernly Maidment bought property in Falcon. Fernly was one of a number of fishermen who went looking for the Presentation Sisters who drowned, along with a priest, heading back to Mandurah. He worked as an agent for Bassett Scarfe & Watson. Grandfather of current resident. He moved to Furnissdale in 1969.

• There is a capsized boat at the bottom of South East Dawesville Channel Estuary “Josephine” – it belonged to a Falcon resident’s father who lived on the boat for many years. He also crewed on most boats at Royal Perth Yacht Club whose names are now Falcon street names and he can remember them all.

• Local street names repeat some of the champion ocean and Swan River racing yachts, for example Panamuna Drive and Verona Crescent.

• Late 1950s/1960s Geary’s beach surf break was named after Ray Geary’s beach shack in Sandra Street. The boys would head over the back beach with their planks and drink beer at the shack afterwards.

• The first school with the City of Mandurah local government area boundary was built at Pleasant Grove in 1906, pre-dating the Central Mandurah public school on Hackett Street by 30 years. It closed in 1916.

• The first brick and tile houses in Falcon were built on Mercedes Avenue.

Top of page