Can We Help? Community Finder
Page Header Image: Blue



Mosquito FAQ


Roosters & Poultry

Wood Smoke

Spills & Pollution


Tobacco Smoke


Damaged & Unfit Dwellings

Home Businesses


PESTS– Do you have a pest problem?

If you have pests on your property, there are many reputable domestic pest control products on the market. Checking structural items and sealing any gaps is often a useful measure to prevent pest issues. It is recommended that you contact a licensed pest control operator if you are experiencing persistent pest problems.

If flies, rodents, cockroaches, Argentine ants or European wasps on a neighbouring property are affecting your property, you may request that an Environmental Health Officer investigate.

If you have queries or are concerned about the species of various pests, please visit the Western Australian Department of Agriculture & Food or contact them on (08) 9368 3333. The department can provide expert advice particularly in relation to pests such as Argentine antsEuropean wasps and Portuguese millipedes.


ROOSTERS & POULTRY – What are the rules about keeping roosters, poultry and/or pigeons?

Poultry and pigeons must be kept in accordance with the City’s Health Local Laws 1996. Restrictions are imposed on the number permitted and the conditions under which they are kept.

Persons affiliated with an approved association or club may keep up to 12 poultry and 100 pigeons. Unaffiliated persons are only permitted to keep a combined total of 12 poultry and pigeons.

The document, Poultry - Guidelines for the keeping of poultry & pigeons, provides specific information on the requirements for keeping of poultry and pigeons.

In addition to the above restrictions, the keeping of a rooster, goose or gander, turkey, peacock or peahen is not permitted without the written approval of the Manager, Environmental Health Services.


WOOD SMOKE – Is wood fire smoke concerning you?

During winter, smoke from wood heaters significantly contributes to reduced air quality in areas throughout the City. When wood is not burnt properly fine particles are released and once inhaled these particles are retained in our lungs causing irritation. The presence of these particles in the air can result in illness and poor health in people who suffer from pre existing respiratory illnesses such as asthma and bronchitis.

The City has developed a wood smoke monitoring programme to ensure all operators of wood heaters are fulfilling their responsibilities. The program involves Environmental Health Officers undertaking regular surveillance, focusing on areas that have historically been affected by wood smoke. The City provides information and advice to operators of wood heaters that have been identified as significantly contributing to wood smoke in their area.

There is a substantial improvement in the City’s air quality when wood is burnt correctly and the good health of everyone is attainable. Please refer to the document Halt the Haze for information on how to correctly operate and maintain a wood heater.

The City’s Environmental Health Services are available to investigate ongoing wood smoke issues. Please complete and submit a service request form.


SPILLS & POLLUTION – Have you noticed material being discharged to the environment that worries you?

The discharge of certain materials into the environment (air, water, land) is prohibited under the Environmental Protection (Unauthorised Discharges) Regulations 2004. If you are concerned about any material or smoke that is being discharged into the environment you should first speak with an Environmental Health Officer who can advise you whether it is considered an offence. If the discharge is a problem then you will be required to fill in a service request form detailing your concern.


CATS – Are cats causing you a nuisance?

There are laws relating to the keeping of cats within the City of Mandurah that restrict any person from keeping more than three cats over the age of three months on any premises or land. People can apply in writing to council for an exemption to this law. However all applications may be required to meet the following criteria prior to consideration:

a. provide for each cat kept at or on the premises a properly constructed shelter with an enclosure complying with the following -
i. each shelter shall have a floor area of not less than 0.5 square metres for each cat over the age of 3 months kept or to be kept therein; and
ii. the area of the enclosure appurtenant to each shelter shall not be less than 3 times the area of the shelter;

b. a shelter or an enclosure shall be situated at a distance of not less than-
i. 2 metres from the boundary of any lot not owned or occupied by the person by whom the cats are kept;
ii. 10 metres from any dwelling, church, schoolroom, hall or premises in which food is manufactured, packed or prepared for human consumption

If a neighbour is keeping more than three cats and they are causing you a nuisance you can complete a service request form, detailing your concern and submit it to the City’s Environmental Health Services section.


TOBACCO SMOKE – What are the rules about smoking in public places?

As a general rule smoking in public places is banned. However there are some exemptions to this. If you are concerned about smoking in public places and want to report your concerns you can do so by completing a service request form and submitting it to the City’s Environmental Health Services section.

If you would like to access resources to support you or others who are attempting to quit smoking, visit


SYRINGES – Have you found a syringe in a public area and want to know what to do?

The Western Australian Department of Health provide the following advice on their website:

If you find a discarded needle and syringe, there is no need to panic. Find a rigid-walled plastic container with a lid and bring it to the needle and syringe. Pick up the needle and syringe by the blunt end, away from the sharp point. Do not touch the tip of the needle and make no attempt to recap or re-sheathe it. Put the needle and syringe in the container point first and make sure the container is tightly sealed. Small numbers of needles and syringes collected in this way can be safely disposed of in the domestic waste.

If you are uncomfortable with disposing of the needle yourself you can contact the City of Mandurah’s Environmental Health Services section on 9550 3746 to arrange for collection of the needle. More information is available in the WA Department of Health factsheet Safe Disposal of Needles and Syringes


DAMAGED & UNFIT DWELLINGS – Is there a property that is in such a state as to worry you?

All properties within the City of Mandurah are required to be a maintained to a minimum standard so as not to negatively impact on the health of persons living in or nearby to the property. The standards relate to such things as maintaining roofs and guttering in a sound weatherproof condition, maintaining any footings, foundations and walls in a sound condition, and maintaining all pipes, fittings and fixtures connected with water supply, drainage or sewerage in working order.

If you are concerned about a damaged or unfit dwelling and want to report your concerns you can do so by completing a service request form and submitting it to the City’s Environmental Health Services section.


HOME BUSINESSES– Are you thinking about setting up a health related home business?


If you are considering starting a business involving massage, hairdressing, beauty therapy or acupuncture at home, you will require approval. There are a number of steps involved in setting up a home based health related premises.

You will need to contact the following sections within the city to ensure that your proposal is acceptable:
1. Town Planning
2. Building Services (if there are any proposed changes to the structure)

When you make contact with the above sections they will guide you through any steps/applications you may be required to make. If you are required to obtain any permit from these sections this must be done prior to submitting your application to the City’s Environmental Health Services section.

Once you have satisfied any planning or building requirements, you will need to complete the following steps in order for your application to be assessed against the relevant health requirements.
1. Complete an application for Approval of plans of a health related premises;
2. Attach two copies of the floor plan of the proposed business;
3. Provide specifications and details of all surfaces, fittings and equipment; and
4. Pay the relevant fee for the assessment of plans (please note that registration and/or ongoing fees may also apply).

Once the completed application has been received please allow ten working days for an Environmental Heath Officer to assess your application.