What’s in a name?
First approved as Madora in 1990, and amended to Madora Bay in 2003, this suburb derives its name from “Madora Beach Estate” of 1960. The estate was a development of Perry’s Estate Agency in Mandurah, and the name was derived from two Western Australian place names: Chadora, a mill and railway siding near Dwellingup, and Mandora, a cattle station between Broome and Port Hedland.
History & Heritage
Madora Bay has a history as a popular holiday destination with beach shacks and holiday houses and this still resonates in current times. Residents describe the character of Madora as relaxed, friendly, peaceful and safe. Madora Bay has managed to hold onto the small country town feel despite the fast pace of growth within and around Mandurah.
The first stage of the original Madora Bay was subdivided in 1960 with Madora Beach Road being constructed during 1959. A large beach block cost $3,000 in 1965.
Madora Bay Community Hall was opened by Shire President Dudley Tuckey in 1979. The community never looked back, holding indoor bowls, card afternoons, sewing classes, play school etc. On Friday evenings there was youth night for older children. Each Christmas the Women’s Auxiliary would put on a Christmas party for all the residents.
The pristine beach is a valued natural and recreational asset to the Madora Bay community, a place for walking, swimming, surfing, fishing and boating. Parks, bushland and walking tracks are also important to the community for recreational, environmental and aesthetic reasons.
· Madora Bay Hall
· ABC Learning Centre
· Challenger Park
· Harry Perry Park
· Tranby Street Bushland
· Charlie and Dorothy Coote Reserve
· Karinga Reserve
· Madora Bay Deli
· Madora Bay tavern