Can We Help? Community Finder
 
Page Header Image: Michelle Mullarkey

Lakelands

What’s in a name?

 Lakelands is named after the low lying swamps/lakes at the centre of the suburb.

Jane Kennaugh Reserve at Loretta Parkway, Lakelands, was named in December 2006 after a Senior Constable involved in Community Policing in the Mandurah area for many years and was killed in a car accident whilst on duty in 1996. She is remembered for encouraging local primary school children to display qualities of leadership, kindness, understanding and helpfulness. The Jane Kennaugh Award was developed to pay respect to Jane as well as to encourage Year 7 students within the Mandurah district to display community awareness.

 

History & Heritage

For thousands of years Noongars travelled and camped in the area that is now Lakelands. Black Swan Lake Mowyn Kuljak and Paganoni Lake Berong, provided an abundance of food and bush medicine.

The lakes have spiritual significance to Noongars. They were believed to be an integral part of the Wagyl dreaming which comprises a track along a chain of lakes extending from Yanchep to Australind. The lakes were formed several thousand years ago as the sea level began to recede.

In the 1880s prominent families The Dempsters and McLartys took over much of the area now called Lakelands. Duncan (Ross) McClarty, who was state premier from 1947 to 1953, continued to occupy the land until the mid 1960s. Colin and Judith Benson acquired the land which they called Yalgieri Station. They grazed up to 20,000 sheep and 300 cattle and their son Peter established a small animal tourism attraction, Farmworld.

Peet Ltd purchased the property in the mid 1990s naming it Centennial Park, then Lakelands, and sold the first block in August 2003.

 

Community & Education

• Lakelands Community House
• Lakelands Playgroup
• Lakelands Environment Group
• Mandurah Baptist College

Public Open Spaces

• Yindana Reserve
• Ballard Meander Reserve
• Aboriginal Park

Public Transport

• Bus Routes 558 and 557
www.transperth.wa.gov.au

Shops

• Caltex Service Station