- Ac-cent Mandurah
- Beaches, Parks & Reserves
- Billy Dower Youth Centre
- Boating & Waterways
- Contemporary Art Spaces Mandurah
- Halls & Sporting Grounds
- Mandurah Recreation Centres
- Alcoa Mandurah Art Gallery
- Mandurah Ocean Marina
- Mandurah Performing Arts Centre
- Mandurah Visitor Centre
- Tracks & Trails
- War Memorial
State of the Environment
Mandurah’s growth has been rapid and has provided significant economic and community benefits, but this development has had a significant impact on the natural environment. In response to this growth the City of Mandurah has developed a State of the Environment (SoE) Report.
A SoE Report is a management tool that enables governments and the community to analyse the latest information to assess environmental trends. SoE reporting is used to:
- Report on major causal factors that are influencing the environment and heritage.
- Report on the effectiveness of responses designed to address change.
- Identify the issues most relevant to the sustainability of the environment and heritage.
- Contribute to public understanding of the state of the environment and heritage.
- Identify relevant gaps in information.
- Further develop and improve the SoE reporting process.
- Facilitate policy development at all levels of government
The City of Mandurah SoE Report measures the condition of key natural built and environment attributes and evaluates the effectiveness of the responses designed to address these pressures and impacts. It assists the City in developing and adopting actions needed to better conserve and enhance our ecosystem and the services they provide. Furthermore, it provides a ‘baseline’ and helps to establish the future direction for the City and supports our obligation to consider environmental values equally with economic and social ideals.
The purpose of the City of Mandurah SoE Report is to provide a scientific assessment of the environmental condition of Mandurah. This assessment drives decision-making and activities by the City of Mandurah in relation to biophysical and human settlement condition, and influences the decisions and activities of stakeholders. The SoE Report provides a 'line-in-the-sand' to develop and implement effective environmental policy to safeguard and improve the quality of the environment of Mandurah.
City of Mandurah State of the Environment Report
The purpose of the City of Mandurah SoE Report is to provide a scientific assessment of the environmental condition of Mandurah. This assessment will drive decision-making and activities by the City of Mandurah in relation to biophysical and human settlement condition, and influence the decisions and activities of stakeholders. The SoE Report will provide a 'line-in-the-sand' to develop and implement effective environmental policy to safeguard and improve the quality of the environment of Mandurah.
- To capture a snapshot of the state of Mandurah’s natural and built environments.
- To identify and assess the critical pressures and impacts, and the limits of acceptable change on natural and built environments.
- To drive development of effective environmental and planning policy and strategy for Mandurah including the 2009-2012 strategic plan.
- To assist target setting, assess the effectiveness of responses to pressures and impacts and to improve environmental condition.
State of the Environment Reporting Model
SoE reporting models are important for organising and presenting different types of information and defining the range of environmental issues to be considered in a SoE report. The Mandurah SoE reporting model is:
- Fundamental pressure – the underlying forces that influence development, such as population growth, economic growth, production and consumption, and technological change.
- State – the physical state or condition of the environment at a given time covering the quality of the environment and the functioning of ecological processes.
- Pressure – the human activities that influence or affect the environment, such as resource use, and generation of emissions, effluent and waste.
- Impact – the consequences of changes on the environment, society and the economy.
- Response – the actions taken by society, either individually or collectively, to prevent or mitigate negative environmental impacts, repair existing damage, or conserve natural resources.
- Future Directions – broader strategic directions and key responses.
State of the Environment scope
The scope of the City of Mandurah SoE report has been defined as:
- Biophysical – covering the core biophysical environment.
- Human Settlement – covering built environment, planning, energy, transport and infrastructure.