Building Services are responsible for the assessment and approvals of building work.
A building permit is required for any building work, alterations or additions including:
- Houses, granny flats, additions and alterations
- Patios, verandahs, gazebos, pergolas and decks
- Sheds, garages, carports, workshops
- Swimming pools, pool fencing, spas
- Retaining walls
- Shop fitouts, mezzanine floors, change of use (converting an office to a shop)
- Commercial, industrial and public buildings (eg schools, gymnasium, meeting halls)
- Demolition of domestic and commercial buildings
If the total value of the work exceeds $20,000 a permit can only be issued to a Registered Builder or an Owner Builder (excluding swimming pools and retaining walls).
If you would like to find out how to become an owner builder visit the Building Commission website.