Monday, 18 November 2019
Local sporting stars were honoured at the annual City of Mandurah Sports Awards at Rushton Park Sports Facility last Wednesday night.
Close to 160 people at the gala dinner celebrated the outstanding achievements of sports people, volunteers and clubs who have achieved sporting success at an elite level, or made a significant contribution to Mandurah’s sport and recreation clubs.
Mayor Rhys Williams congratulated the winners and thanked the individuals, clubs and volunteers for their important contributions to sport and recreation in Mandurah.
“We’re lucky to have a thriving and active sporting community, and many dedicated people who are passionate about making sport great,” Mayor Williams said.
“Local sport is essential for a strong, healthy and happy community. It is vital we continue to grow grassroots competitions in the region while celebrating the accomplishments of local sports people, volunteers, teams and clubs.
“Well done to our sporting superstars on your achievement and I look forward to following your future successes.”
The 2019 Mandurah Sports Awards winners are:
• Sports Person of the Year - Jackson England, boxing
• Club of the Year - Mandurah Surf Life Saving Club
• Junior Sports Person of the Year - Sophia Ingledew, boxing, and Georgia Payne, sailing (sponsored by Peel Regional Academy of Sports)
• Ken Phillips Male Volunteer of the Year - Russell Price, surf lifesaving (sponsored by Broome Staircase Design)
• Female Volunteer of the Year - AJ Camarda, netball (sponsored by Broome Staircase Design)
• Team of the Year - Mandurah City FC - Women Division 1 Team, soccer (sponsored by B Select Mandurah)
• Junior Team of the Year - Peel Thunder Rogers Cup Youth Girls Team, Peel Thunder Football Club (sponsored by B Select Mandurah)
• Sports Person of the Year with a Disability - Malcolm Anderson, dragonboating (sponsored by A1 Locksmith)
• Senior Sports Person of the Year - Cathy Rayner, barefoot water skiing (sponsored by Hot Klobba)
• Sports Inclusion award – Starfish Nippers, Mandurah Surf Life Saving Club
• Highly Commended - Memphis McLeod, BMX