Where can asbestos be found?
Asbestos cement was a commonly used building material in the 1970s used in materials including:
- exterior wall cladding
- backing material on floor tiles and vinyl flooring
- thermal boards around fireplaces
Following safety concerns, asbestos cement was phased out from 1981 with the manufacturing of asbestos ceasing in 1987.
Dangers exist using:
- Power tools for cutting, drilling, grinding, sanding and sawing
- High pressure water guns
- Breaking or crushing
- Generally it is not possible to tell if a product is asbestos by looking at it
- Laboratory analysis is required to confirm material as asbestos
- Anything suspected to be asbestos should be treated as such
- Left undisturbed, risk to health is extremely low
Note: Given the serious health problems this material can cause it is important that it is handled properly. It is recommended that a professional be employed to remove or handle asbestos.
If you believe that asbestos is not being handled correctly, please complete a service request form and submit to the City.