Find out about building permits the different types of applications, and when they are required.

Building Services are responsible for the assessment and approvals of building work.

A Building Permit is required for any building work, alterations or additions including:
  • Houses, granny flats, additions and alterations 
  • Patios, verandahs, gazebos, pergolas and decks
  • Sheds,  garages, carports, workshops
  • Swimming pools, pool fencing, spas
  • Retaining walls
  • Shop fitouts, mezzanine floors, change of use (converting an office to a shop)
  • Commercial, industrial and public buildings (eg schools, gymnasium, meeting halls)
  • Demolition of domestic and commercial buildings 
Important information:

If the total value of the work exceeds $20,000 a permit can only be issued to a Registered Builder or an Owner Builder (excluding swimming pools and retaining walls). 
If you would like to find out how to become an owner builder visit the Building Commission website  

 If you are looking for information sheets and application forms, please follow this link: Building Applications and Permits

Section Image