They cover a range of areas from sports grounds and children's playgrounds, to bushland conservation and pocket parks.

Who are City Parks?

City Parks work covers:


Maintenance and service levels are varied depending on the reserve site, but generally includes:

  • Mowing and fertilizing turf areas within parks or active grounds 
  • Planting and maintenance of soft planting landscaped areas 
  • Rehabilitation planting within bushland and estuary or coastal foreshore reserves in accordance with adopted management plans 
  • Maintenance of play equipment and environments 
  • Maintenance of site furniture, including picnic facilities, seating, bike racks and drink fountains
  • Fencing 
  • Skate and BMX facilities 
  • Irrigation 

Irrigation of Parks and Reserves

Turf irrigation and landscaped areas are maintained regularly and includes reviewing and modifying irrigation to ensure water quality and availability within the reserve or locality.
The water source for the City's reserves is largely groundwater which the City operates under strict license conditions. These water sources differ greatly to domestic or home bore use. 

Developer Parks

As part of new developments, developers are responsible maintaining those parks and reserves newly completed within these areas for a period of three years.

Weed maintenance

Weed control is important to ensure we are all free to use and enjoy our parks, reserves and green spaces.

Weed control ensures the public can safely access the area by preventing infestations (particularly Bindii and Caltrop weeds), preventing weeds from becoming a trip hazard, ensuring pathways and infrastructure are clear, and reducing fire loads in bushland. It also minimises damage to infrastructure and improves biodiversity by promoting intended plants.

Under the Biosecurity Agriculture Management Act 2007 (WA), local governments are responsible for weed control within their boundaries.

The City utilises a number of control methods such as

  • Herbicide applications;
  • Mechanical whipper-snipping, moving and/or manual removal;
  • Turf management programs (mowing, fertilising, watering);
  • Mulching; and
  • Use of ground covering plants able to smother the weeds.


When the City is undertaking spraying works, signs are placed in the area. These signs will be in place from when the spraying starts until the herbicide has dried.

Herbicides, including Glyphosate, become inactive after application when the turf has dried, at which time public and animals can then be permitted to use the sprayed areas. If you or your animal step on wet turf after being sprayed, we recommend that you wash any parts of the body that made contact with the wet turf. The herbicide is diluted prior to being applied, but the washing should help with any reactions.

Herbicides used within the City, including Glyphosate, are registered by the WA Heath Department for commercial and domestic use to be applied in accordance with the manufacturer's product use information and safety data sheets.

The WA Health Department has advised that there is no concrete evidence for the Department to prohibit the use of Glyphosate for weed control programs by local councils. It does, however, acknowledge that some residents may be sensitive to Glyphosate, so the City encourages those residents to request that the kerb and footpath in front of their property be exempt from spraying.

Any resident with a chemical sensitivity can register their residence (verge only) as "No Spray" and commit to managing their own weed management on and in front of their properties to help Council reduce its reliance on glyphosate.


Contact us to register as "No Spray"